[BAA Comets] C/2013 R1 this morning

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Thu Dec 5 08:48:18 GMT 2013

Morning all,

Had a clear night from dusk to dawn last night so observed many comets
and other things. With the demise of C/2012 S1, Comet C/2013 R1
(Lovejoy) is the brightest comet around. It was well seen from here both
in the evening and morning skies. I first saw it visually on my cycle
back from work (I keep a pair of binoculars in my rucksack just in case)
and later got images at a variety of scales.

I'll process all the images later but here is a quick wide angle shot of
the comet from this morning using a 550D and 200mm, f/2.8L lens. The FoV
is approx 4 deg square, N up.

http://www.nickdjames.com/Comets/2013/2013r1stacked.jpg

I have a stack of 100 short images showing lots of detail in the inner
coma. I'll post these later.

Now to leave for work, half asleep.