[BAA Comets] C/2013 R1 this morning

Andrew Robertson alphacentauri at tesco.net
Fri Dec 6 11:44:34 GMT 2013

Morning Nick,

I was down at Haw Wood Wednesday night with the 600mmm Dob and my recently
aquired 28 x 110 binoculars :-)

Had very nice visual views at both 6pm and 3am (Thur) in the big bins. The
nucleus was mega bright in the 600mm. It's good to see a bit of curvature in
the tail in your image which I see visually but doesn't seem to show so much
in images.

Do we know what it's current magnitude is? I've just woke after a session
until 5.30am this morning. Naked eye, it didn't seem quite as bright as
nearby Zeta CrB (mag 4.63) but when I defocussed Zeta to a similar size it
seemed fainter than Lovejoy although didn't have them both in the same FoV.
So I'm presuming mag 4.5 - 5?

Andrew