[BAA Comets] C/2012 S1 IMAGE tail bifurcation?

Erik Bryssinck erik.bryssinck at telenet.be
Wed Nov 6 06:43:31 GMT 2013

Hi Denis,

in my observation, i did yesterdaymorning, I also noted a change, especially in the morphoglogy of the comet. For the Afp-value (according the CARA-apprauch) I could notice a peak about 286 cm, an increase of 10% compared to the days before. Similarly, the form has changed, a form similar to an outburst however small it may be. I just posted that on only on the CIOC-facebook page (closed group). What you also perceive could mean a change in the comet behavior.

possible is the 'dark part' of the comet now more exposed to the sun, or is possible something else going on? beginning  of the disintegration? comet becomes more active? cleaving of certain fragments? fragmentation? who knows?? all is possible, it think.  continue to closely observe this comet is definitely strong recommended. This are exciting days !!

kind regards,

Erik Bryssinck

Brixiis Observatory (B96) - Kruibeke - Belgium
http://www.astronomie.be/erik.bryssinck/
http://cara.uai.it - Cometary Archive for Af(Rho)
http://www.vvs.be - Belgian Association for Amateur Astronomers