[BAA Comets] Introduction

Roger Dymock roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 24 11:06:24 BST 2014

Hi Tony,

Pleased to hear from you and that you are finding the Project Alcock website useful. Please do
contact me if you run into any problems.

A few points;
- you can't use stacked images with FoCAs
- although Jon Shanklin doesn't use MPC formatted reports you should still send them to the MPC (and
TA if you wish)
- any software that will draw a profile through the head of the comet and allow you to work out the
size of the coma can be used. I just happen to have AIP4WIN and Excel. I believe Graham Relf's GRIP
will do the trick and you could also try Iris and they are both free. I must check them out sometime
- I usually take 5 images of any particular comet with somewhere between 10 and 20 mins between
images. This usually allows for the comet to move away from any nearby star that might interfere
with astrometry or photometry

Your map ref puts you somewhere near the south coast of Spain - is that correct?

Regards

Roger Dymock
Email: roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Tel: 023 92647986