[BAA Comets] Introduction

Tony Angel tony_angel_uk at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:57:49 BST 2014

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the response.  The other problems I am having are fairly
cosmetic ones.  I have just worked out how to add text to the bottom of a
image by using notepad, doing a cntr printscreen and then cutting and
pasting. That leaves the compass and the two lines to indicate the position
of a faint comet.  I do not have any programmes similar to photoshop as I
find them expensive and in the main I have no use for them. It is possible
to do it in Sinbad?

The programmes I use on a daily basis are Megastar, The Sky, CCDSoft, MaxIm
5, Astrometrica, Microsoft Photo Editor

Yes I am in Southern Spain. If you paste the location into Google Maps it
will show my place, (including the observatories apart from the new one for
the 24") which is on top of the Sierra Contraviesa mountain range at 4,500
feet.  The coordinates centre on the Clamshell which I operate from the farm
house.  The Clamshell (and the 24") belong to an organisation I belong to,
though I use them on its behalf. The other observatories are mine.  If you
zoom out you can see that the location is isolated, though there is some low
altitude light pollution when there are thin clouds.

I recently obtained an observatory code. Z85 356.75028 0.801058 +0.596932
Observatorio Sierra Contraviesa, so I do intend sending observations to the
MPC. In fact it was two American chaps, initially Charles Bell and then
Loren Ball who said that I ought to get one. I will send to the TA once I
have rejoined.

I have AIPS and Excel so I will try that first, but I will also look at
GRIP.  I obviously need to work on FoCAs to understand what the limits are.
For example with C/2013 R1 last night I used 30 second exposures. Although I
can see the comet in a single exposure the SNR is only 4.6. so too low to be
used. As the speed is 0.22" per min I could have gone to 2 minutes an
exposure - subject to tracking.

Again, Thanks

Tony.