[BAA Comets] First outburst of Comet 29P in 2015

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 3 23:53:56 GMT 2015

Three images I scheduled taken of Comet 29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann earlier
today (February 03.76) using the LCOGT network at Siding Spring appear to
show that this comet is now in outburst.

I have temporarily posted an image depicting the possible outburst,
alongside one from the ESO Digital Sky Survey for the same area of sky,
here:
http://britastro.org/asteroids/29P_2015Feb3_outburst.png

Jean-Francois Soulier has been monitoring 29P during the start of this new
apparition beginning on January 11. His results indicate that the comet has
not outburst between the start of 2015 and the time of his most recent frame
taken from SpaceObs, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile, namely 2015 February 02.39
when the comet was roughly magnitude 17-18.

The last observed outburst of 29P took place on 2014 October 20. Grateful if
observers can confirm this possible outburst. Those located in the southern
hemisphere will be best placed given that the comet is now at
Declination -30 degrees. Its elongation is only 51 degrees visible in the
pre-dawn sky. The image referred to above is taken from a preview jpeg and
so it is difficult to judge the brightness of this possible outburst. My
estimate is brighter than R=15. How much brighter I cannot yet determine.

Clear Skies,

Richard Miles
BAA