[BAA Comets] Fwd: COBS mail on ICQ import

Padma Yanamandra-Fisher padmayf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 00:36:50 GMT 2016

Hello, John,

This is really good news to see one repository for data. We (at PACA) are
working on something similar but to align with the NASA PDS standards, as
ultimately lots of collections of amateur data are starting to become
integrated. As is already known, there is such wealth of amateur legacy
data across many national repositories, that this start is definitely a
step in the right direction.

I hope that there is way to approach the integration of the data in the new
format that NASA PDS requires, and which I am working on for several of the
comet missions that have been supported by NASA (ISON, Siding Spring,
etc.).  In fact, I will be talking about this at the upcoming National
Australian Convention of Amateur Astronomers in March 2016. Maybe we can
discuss this offline to see to align our efforts towards the same cause.

I am also interested in how to crowd-source the wealth of comet data for
various types of cometary activity. If there are members that are
interested in similar tasks, I would love to discuss these ideas further. I
do know that Richard Miles is interested in outbursting comets - he wrote a
nice summary on P/2010 Vi in our group on Outbursting Comets earlier today.
Now that comet has possibly framgmented further into two more fragments, C
and D, we are very interested in more observations of the comet.

Sincerley,
Padma

Padma A. Yanamandra-Fisher
Senior Research Scientist